Thursday, January 14, 2016

Our journey begins!

Hi! My name is Alicia. I am a teacher (on hiatus) and mother of three wonderful children, two of which are girls, now ages 11 and 9. A couple of years ago, I felt like I was losing my connection with my daughters. They were active, friendly, busy girls who started spending more and more time away from me -- sports, toys, playdates. Very natural, right? Yet I struggled with this idea. We were once such a strongly bonded cohort, and while I absolutely understood that kids needed to establish their own sense of self, I didn't want to lose my connection to them.

I searched online for ideas about ways to strengthen our relationships, and stumbled across this website: http://www.themother-daughterproject.com/. It was just what I was looking for. I hustled to a local bookstore to buy the book "The Mother-Daughter Project" and read ferociously. I highlighted and post-it-noted as I went, nodding my head often, wheels spinning in my brain. A mother-daughter group! That was just what we needed! This book gave me the inspiration and tools I needed to start my own mother-daughter group. At this time, many of my friends were experiencing the same things I was, and were eager to stay involved in their daughters' lives, and help them navigate the often-tricky world of puberty and the teenage years.

Thus, our TAGG Group (Totally Amazing Girls Group) was born. This blog is intended to pass along the wisdom (and headaches) our group has gained from being together and sharing the adventures of growing up. I will start from the beginning and post as we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment